Sunday, August 11, 2013

Her Eyes.....My Eyes

This poem was written after my daughter had left home, and I realized how much I had really missed that was there to see as I had been trying to make the "Almighty Dollar."

  Her eyes saw the piglet
          with curled tail and shrill squeal
                   crowding its way in to get its
                         share of the old sow's milk.
   My eyes saw twenty-five dollars
            or meals provided when the
                    cold months of winter made it
                          difficult to let the land supply.
    Her eyes saw the shadows crawling
             spider--like across her bedroom walls
                     bringing with them every hideous
                           monster her mind could construct.
     My eyes saw the coming of  evening when
               I could rest from the labors of the day--warm
                       shadows that brought sleep and caressed my
                             my mind, wiping away worries.
      Her eyes saw the yellow crowns of dandelions
               begging her to make a bouquet which would
                         be destined to become a wilted mass of
                              blooms on the bulkhead of the cellar.
       My eyes saw the weeds that were choking the green
                 grass of my lawn--an enemy bent on destroying--
                          worthless plants  that were
                               disguised in a golden allure.
       Her eyes saw the falling snowflakes  as crystals
                 of magic promising a snowman and playing a
                               a tune that  only  a child
                                 could fully understand.
        My eyes saw the coldness
                 of a snowplow bill, or the backache
                               coming from lifting mounds
                                  of the horrid white stuff.
         Her eyes saw the rainbow arching across
                  the gray sky framed by summer leaves and
                                drops of rain.  My eyes saw this, too,
                                    And, at last, our eyes had met.

No comments:

Post a Comment